WICHITA (FoxKansas.com) -- A south Wichita man has died following an overnight fire that broke out Wednesday morning at his residence and police say the wheelchair-bound man was smoking while on oxygen.
Authorities have identified the man as Galen Ryan, 59. He was rushed for treatment to Via Christi Hospital on St. Francis, where he was pronounced dead. Firefighters were called shortly after 2 am to a home in the 600 block of South Quentin, where they found him in a bedroom.
Authorities said it appears that the fire started in the bedroom and that Ryan was smoking a cigarette when the fire started. According to a published report, Ryan used a portable oxygen tank to help him breathe. The home contained hand rails and had an access ramp at the front door to accommodate Ryan, whose mobility was impaired, The Wichita Eagle reported.
Authorities said the home did have a working smoke alarm but the man yelled for help to his sister, who was sleeping on a couch, when the fire started.
FoxKansas.com Staff Writer Alfred Charles contributed to this report. He can be reached at email@example.com.